New Course is a guided residency program for the personal growth of artists, performers and creative professionals. The program is designed to expand and enhance artists’ creative practice, routines and way of being through new collaborative methods and professional guidance. The program helps artists establish their own rituals and guides them to best practice.
The New Course program gives participants the structure, guidance, time and creative freedom they need for taking the next steps in becoming the best version of themselves, both personally and professionally. The program brings together artists from different disciplines and backgrounds to share a focused month in the peaceful surroundings of Arteles Creative Center.
The program is led by Dr Margi Brown Ash, a professional collaborative creative coach, therapist and mentor, who is also an award-winning performer and theatre director. For more than a decade now, Margi has been researching and exploring how artists can create a life of vibrancy and joyful discovery, despite the difficulties faced in our chaotic world.
Who should apply?
We are looking for professional and emerging artists and creatives from various fields and backgrounds. In the selection process, emphasis is put on the applicant’s motivation and suitability to the program. We value authenticity and tenacity. You must be at least 23 or older to apply (in 2020).
Due to the nature of the program, we do not require any project proposal in the application. We also understand when working in the creative field, your subjects, interests and working methods change and evolve along the way.
Artist duos are also welcome to apply. Non-artist spouses, partners and friends are welcome as short-term guests (1-2 nights, 50€/night) and on weekends only. Please note that children are not permitted in the residency.
The program is designed for artists and creative professionals who want to:
- take their artmaking & creativity in another direction
- re-create their working processes so that they are sustainable
- re-gain meaning and joy to their creative practice
- re-invent their way of being in the world
who might be:
- feeling lack of direction, ‘burned out’, tired, ‘over it’ / confused regarding their arts practice and their life.
- satisfied with their art making but feel a strange sense of not belonging anymore.
- at the end of a cycle of work, but have come to a full stop and don’t know what to do or where to go next.
- suffering from a sense of sadness, disappointment or loss regarding their development as an artist.
- successful artists but don’t feel like it means anything.
- professionals doing just fine but want to learn / develop new skills.
When & Where?
Periods: 1 month
When: October & November 2020
Where: Arteles Creative Center, Hämeenkyrö, Finland