Are you an artist, researcher or art worker in the field of the performing arts, and are you looking for a studio or workspace in Brussels? Twice a year we invite you to share a research or project proposal with us via our open call.
Our residency programme offers free workspace for research, exchange and creation in the performing arts.
What do we offer?
- When a project is selected, we search together for the right space in the right period. Thanks to our partnerships, we have a number of weeks of studio space available each year at various locations in the city. The calendar changes from month to month, so the planning is made according to availability.
- The studios are not technically equipped and no technical assistance is foreseen. To the extent possible, we do provide basic technical material, such as a sound system, micro, projector and so on.
- The possibilities for accommodation depend on the type of residency: see below.
- Residents can rely on basic dramaturgical support from the house dramaturge.
- Residents are welcome to share their research, practice or work with the team and/or their co-residents at the end of the residency. This can also take the form of a (semi)public try-out.
- Every Tuesday we invite all residents who are working in the studios at that moment for lunch, together with our team.
- Our library is open to all residents and is developed on the basis of their suggestions.
How to apply?
You are invited to apply by filling out an online application form. In this form you can tell us about your artistic practice and what you are currently working on. You can attach a cv, an artistic dossier and/or video recordings of your work. We also ask you some practical questions to make sure we can meet your needs.
Application form & deadlines
- Deadline 1 August 2021 at 10pm: for residencies between January and June 2022. The application forms are now online. The selection will be announced in the week of 6 September 2021.
- Deadline 1 February 2022: for residencies between July and December 2022. The application forms will be online here on this page from 6 December until 1 February 2022.
Application #1: Atelier Residency
- Suitable for writing, research, exchange, meetings, a reading group…
- Location: WSB 0 or WSB 2 (view studios)
- Duration: 2 to 8 weeks
- Accommodation: 1 bedroom with two single beds, in the house of workspacebrussels
- Apply here
Application #2: Studio Residency
- Suitable for research or creation on the floor
- Location: Ultima Vez, Kaaistudios, Rosas or Les Brigittines (view studios)
- Duration: 1 to 3 weeks (multiple residencies are sometimes possible)
- Accommodation: only for non-Belgian residents, max. 4 people, on location in Brussels
- Apply here
Can I apply more than once?
It is possible to submit multiple applications at the same time for different projects. Please be aware that it is not possible to submit more than two rounds for the same project. A third application in a row for the same project is therefore not admissible.
Answer & feedback
The selection is made by the artistic coordinator and the dramaturge of workspacebrussels. We treat all applications equally and will answer your question no later than 8 weeks after the deadline. We are grateful for the many inspiring and exciting project proposals we receive each year. Unfortunately we receive many more requests than we have space available. Due to this large number, personal feedback after a negative answer is not possible.