The contemporary art biennial Tallinn Photomonth ’23 (06.10.–26.11.2023) announces open call to find a photography project to be displayed in urban space.
The contemporary art biennial Tallinn Photomonth, held this autumn for the 7th time, is once again expanding to urban space and is therefore looking for new authors to engage with.
Individual authors or collectives working in the field of contemporary visual art are invited to apply with a single work or a series of works and to propose within the framework of the open call a full concept for a photography project taking place in public space. The project will be presented in Tallinn’s urban space during the period of the biennial in October and November 2023. Tallinn Photomonth does not set any guidelines concerning the sub-theme, location and format of the project, but building relations to the locations and focus of the main programme of the 7th Tallinn Photomonth are welcome.
By introducing visual art into the hubs of urban space or by activating previously disregarded areas, the authors of the selected project are welcomed to open up currently relevant topics in public space, initiate discussions that concern a wide range of people, and expand the conventional ways of experiencing art. In the framework of Tallinn Photomonth biennial’s satellite and public programmes the winning project will be shown both to local audiences as well as to international professionals.
What we expect from the projects:
- realization of the project in photographic medium or its extended field;
- direct engagement with the specifics of the photographic medium and/or the selected location;
- taking place in one or several publicly accessible locations in Tallinn;
- argumentation concerning the choice of the location.
Tallinn Photomonth ’23 offers:
- artist fee and coverage for the production costs of the work;
- cooperation and support in negotiations in order to confirm the project location;
- visibility via the biennial’s communication channels, information materials and public programme.
The application must include:
- project description with 3–5 illustrative images (2000–2500 characters, in PDF format);
- CV or creative biography of the author(s) (1-2 pages, in PDF format).
The deadline for submitting the materials is July 31, 2023.
Please send the applications to: Brigit Arop, firstname.lastname@example.org
The participating projects will be selected by the Tallinn Photomonth team together with a committee of professional advisors.
The main programme of Tallinn Photomonth ’23 includes the international group exhibition Trance at Tallinn Art Hall’s Lasnamäe Pavilion (06.10.–26.11.2023; curated by Ilari Laamanen) and the artists’ film programme in cinema Sõprus (16.–17.11.2023; curated by Piibe Kolka and Genevieve Yue). The events of the main programme can be described with keywords like technologically mediated world, sensory experiences, humane and mechanical, co-creation, collectivity, sociality. In the framework of the satellite programme of the biennial, cooperation with several previously valued partners and photography-oriented exhibition spaces across Tallinn continues. The selected projects will be announced in September 2023.