RIDCC (Rotterdam International Duet Choreography Competition) is the springboard for international choreographic talent. Registration for the duet competition 2023 opened today!
The choreographers will compete for the first prize, the XL Production Award, with a value of €100,000; a significant budget that enables the winning choreographer to create a complete, professional production. This is made possible by Scapino Ballet Rotterdam, Stichting Droom en Daad, and RIDCC. The fifth anniversary edition will take place on the 22nd, 23rd and 24th of June 2023 in Theater Rotterdam.
Until Saturday March the 12th 2023, choreographers from all over the world can submit their choreography via ridcc.com. Out of many registrations, a renowned jury will select sixteen participants for the competition, announcing them in April. The preliminaries are on Thursday the 22nd and Friday the 23rd of June. The grand finale will take place on Saturday the 24th of June.
The pre-jury, representing various dance genres, will select the sixteen participants for the competition:
- Andrey “Drosha” Grekhov, winner Juste Debout 2012, choreographer, dancer, teacher and battle judge
- Astrid Boons, performer and choreographer
- Angela Herenda, choreographer, dance teacher, dancer
- Shailesh Bahoran, theatre maker, urban dancer, choreographer and artistic director of IRCompany
- Mischa van Leeuwen, founder and artistic leader RIDCC, dancer at Scapino Ballet Rotterdam, choreographer
An internationally renowned jury has been appointed for the fifth edition of RIDCC:
- Samuel Wuersten, general and artistic director Holland Dance Festival (chairman)
- Hofesh Shechter, choreographer, composer and artistic director Hofesh Shechter Company
- Katrín Hall, artistic director GöteborgsOperans Danskompani
- Tony Adigun, creative director Avant Garde Dance, curator, urban choreographer, educator and mentor
- Eve Hopkins, artistic director Theater Bellevue
Collaboration and talent development
Participation in RIDCC is a noteworthy reward in itself, as it offers the selected choreographers access to an exclusive network, the opportunity to share knowledge with like-minded people and participation in an in-depth program of workshops, masterclasses, network meetings and coaching sessions. In this way, young talents are provided with valuable tools to enter the dance world in a professional and confident manner.
The winner of the first prize will have the unique opportunity to create a complete professional production at Scapino Ballet Rotterdam, with a guaranteed tour through the Netherlands.
Furthermore, the contestants compete for the Partner Awards, which are offered by a selection of dance companies and institutions.
All RIDCC partners underline the collective importance of talent development and each contribute in their own way. From the sixteen participants, the partners choose the winner of the Partner Award, in order to stimulate new work.
The participating partners in 2023 are:
Scapino Ballet Rotterdam
Avant Garde Dance (London UK)
Club Guy & Roni
Conny Janssen Danst
Maas Theater & Dans
MiR Dance Company GelsenKirchen (Germany)
Dutch National Ballet
Nederlands Dans Theater (NDT)
Skånes Dansteater (Malmö Sweden)
About RIDCC (Rotterdam International Duet Choreography Competition)
RIDCC encourages choreographers from all over the world to develop in a sustainable way.
RIDCC offers opportunities that reflect the talent of the participating choreographers and benefit the local, national, and international sector, and ultimately the public.
RIDCC is the place where up-and-coming talent and the dance sector meet. Here, fruitful collaborations and new career perspectives arise.
RIDCC contributes to the quality and global position of the Rotterdam, Dutch and international dance landscape.