ZK/U hosts a multidisciplinary residency program, offering a living and working space for practitioners of all kinds (artists, researchers, activists, professionals of various fields) whose work or approach explores the dynamics and experiences of the city. The residency program welcomes applications with proposal framed as:
- a conceptual, contextual and interventionist contemporary artistic position,
- research or experimentation in the fields of urbanism, geography, anthropology, architecture and the humanities.
The common theme and interests that link the work of ZK/U residents allow mutual learning, spontaneous collaborations, discussions and exchanges to emerge, enriched by the diversity of disciplines and profiles of the residents. The ZK/U building, a former train station building located in a dynamic public park, is a space for urban experimentation and cross-disciplinary collaborations. Hosting regular public events for a diverse audience, ZK/U is also a lively cultural venue. Residents are encouraged to involve themselves with ZK/U’s cultural program and to propose their own formats.
More information on the residency can be found here.
(If you are an artist or cultural practitioner with curatorial experience based on the African continent, please also see our current Open Call for the fully funded TURN2 Curatorial Research Residencies at ZK/U Berlin.)
Applicants are encouraged to formulate their project proposals with the conceptual discourses of ZK/U in mind.
- ZK/U seeks proactive practitioners with an open mind for divergent positions and for possible collaborations with fellow residents as well as ZK/U’s programme, infrastructure, and diverse audiences.
- ZK/U is interested in proposals that have a certain relevance either to ZK/U as an institution or to Berlin.
What we provide
- a studio-apartment for living and working
- access to communal spaces (kitchen, terrace, library)
- a special residency program of weekly dinners, monthly studio visits and bi-monthly open studio events (OPENHAUS)
- the possibility to take part or be part of ZK/U’s public events
- support to locate events, resources, and urban discourses relevant to the residency fellows’ research interests
- support to create self-initiated public events or formats (additional costs may apply)
- promotion of the residency fellows’ work online and locally
For individual residents or groups, depending on the type of studio-apartment and the length of stay (3-8 months), the residency fees are between €550 and €850 per month. The fees cover all utility costs, space usage and participation in the residency programming. The residency period can take place anytime within the next two years after the selected resident is notified. After being selected, ZK/U will support the invited residential fellow in their efforts to secure funding through external grants by providing the fellow with an official invitation and a list of potential funders.
How to apply
Please only submit your application within the OPEN CALL period. To apply, please:
- fill out the application form
- send your application documents (max. 15mb and 14 pages combined) through wetransfer to email@example.com:
- Curriculum vitae (PDF, max. 2 pages)
- A selection of 2 to 3 projects representing a practice relevant to our conceptual framework (please include descriptions of those projects) (PDF, max. 10 pages)
- A detailed working plan (only if you are applying for a residency that is longer than 6 months) (PDF, max. 2 pages)
For questions, make sure to check our FAQ page.