For the 54th edition of the festival, Les Rencontres de la photographie and the LUMA foundation are once again offering the LUMA Rencontres Dummy Book Award, a prize to help publish a book model.
Initiated in 2015 and endowed with a production budget of €25,000, this award is open to professional photographers and artists using photography, upon proposal of a book model that has never been published. Special attention will be paid to experimental and innovative editorial forms. T
he deadline for applications is May 15, 2023. Les Rencontres de la photographie and the LUMA Foundation will form a jury to select the shortlisted dummies and the winning one. This set will be exhibited as part of the official course of the 2023 festival.
The award comes with a €25,000 production grant including €3,000 of royalties, for the author or authors. This sum is intended exclusively for the production of the presented project. Les Rencontres d’Arles, in collaboration with the chosen publisher, will ensure the project’s editorial and financial follow-up.
TERMS OF PARTICIPATION
- The award is open to all professional photographers and artists using photography of all ages and nationalities.
- Their work must have appeared in group and/or solo shows and publications that have gained them national or international recognition.
- The submission can be individual or collective.
- Only one project may be submitted. It must be unpublished and not under contract to any publisher.
- Self-published projects (without an ISBN number) that have not yet been disseminateddistributed are eligible.
- The project submitted must be as close as possible to its final version, including the form and materials (type of paper, etc.), and technically feasible within a traditional book production framework.
- The project must be financially feasible within the production budget allocated by the award and may be modified by the designated publishing house if it is awarded the prize.
MEANS OF SUBMISSION
Participation in the LUMA Rencontres Dummy Book Award Arles 2023 is free. The project must be submitted both physically and online. Any incomplete application will not be considered. Online applications can be completed in French or English. The dummy book will be presented in its original language.
A pre-selection of works will be made by Les Rencontres d’Arles and the LUMA foundation during the month of June, followed by the designation of the winning work, which will be announced during the opening week of the festival, on Thursday, July 6 at the théâtre Antique. The jury will take into account the editorial quality of the presented project and its technical and financial feasibility. The festival will contact the pre-selected candidates individually by email. The author receiving the LUMA Rencontres Dummy Book Award Arles 2023 will receive a confidential invitation from the Rencontres during the opening week of the festival, which will take place from July 3 to 9, 2023, and which must remain confidential until the announcement of the award at the théâtre Antique on July 6.
PRESENTATION OF THE SHORTLISTED PROJECTS
The shortlisted projects will be exhibited from July 3 to September 24, 2023 as part of Les Rencontres d’Arles official program and, in whole or in part, online on Les Rencontres d’Arles website, for one year after the participant’s consent.
- Application is open from March 20 to May 15, 2023 (included).
- Jury meeting and deliberation in mid-June 2023.
- Announcement of the shortlisted dummies mid-June 2023.
- Official announcement of the winning dummy during the opening week of Les Rencontres d’Arles, at the théâtre Antique, on Thursday July 6, 2023.
- Exhibition of the winning dummy and the shortlisted dummies throughout the festival, at Monoprix, from July 3 to September 24, 2023.
- Production of the winning dummy in late 2023, early 2024.
RIGHTS & AUTHORIZATIONS OF THE ARTIST
Candidates for the prize declare that they hold all rights to the content of the proposed project (texts, images, graphics) and guarantee the peaceful use of these elements.
Candidates whose work is pre-selected and/or awarded authorize Les Rencontres d’Arles to present it from July 3 to September 24, 2023, in the official program of the festival and in digital form on our website. They also authorize Les Rencontres d’Arles to use their work for the promotion of the LUMA Rencontres Dummy Book Award Arles 2023.
PRODUCTION OF THE WINNING BOOK & OBLIGATIONS OF THE ARTIST
- The book will be co-published by Les Rencontres d’Arles and a yet-to-be-determined publisher in consultation with the winner.
- Les Rencontres d’Arles will cover the costs of producing the winning work within the limits of the award’s endowment (pre-press, printing, publication) and will ensure the editorial follow-up in collaboration with the chosen publishing house.
- The choice of the service provider will be made according to the type of project proposed and in consultation with the author.
- Production of the book will begin in late 2023, early 2024.
- Les Rencontres d’Arles and the chosen publisher reserve the right, in consultation with the author, to adapt the book to the technical constraints of production.
- The author will be asked to provide source files and to attend working meetings at the request of Les Rencontres d’Arles and the chosen publisher.
- The number of copies produced will depend directly on the type of project presented.
- The selected publisher, in co-production with Les Rencontres d’Arles, will ensure the sale and distribution of the work. The selling price will be set by the publisher, in consultation with Les Rencontres d’Arles.
- In the case of a co-publication, Les Rencontres d’Arles will be responsible for the distribution of copies between the different publishing houses.
- The artist will receive a number of copies to be defined according to the type of project produced.
- The LUMA Foundation, the award’s patron, will receive 100 copies of the published work.
- The logos of the LUMA Foundation and Les Rencontres d’Arles will appear on the book.
Les Rencontres d’Arles undertakes to handle the received and exhibited dummies with utmost care. However, Les Rencontres d’Arles cannot be held responsible for any damage that may occur to the dummies on display during their consultation by the public.
This contract is subject to French law. Any disputes that may arise between the Parties in connection with the execution or interpretation of this contract shall, in the absence of amicable settlements, be brought before the competent courts.
RECEIPT & RETURN OF THE MODEL
- Any incomplete file, or received at Les Rencontres d’Arles after the deadline, will not be taken into consideration.
- Any customs fees not paid in advance will invalidate the receipt of the physical file. Please make sure that you are in compliance with the tariffs of the country from which you are sending your file.
- Only the dummies from French territory can be returned by post, provided that a stamped return envelope with the artist’s address is attached to the application file.
- Candidates will be able to pick up or have their dummy picked up until the end of September 2023, directly at the festival office, located at 34 rue du Dr Fanton, in Arles. Any file not collected by this date will no longer be available.
For each project submitted, you will be asked:
to send a physical parcel including:
- One physical copy of the dummy (in the event that the project is pre-selected or if it wins, a second copy will be requested in order to be kept in the archives of the Rencontres d’Arles; the copy initially received will be exhibited during the 2023 edition).
- The candidate’s NAME + FIRST NAME and the title of the dummy book.
Address for receiving applications:
Les Rencontres d’Arles
LUMA Rencontres Dummy Book Award Arles 2023
34 rue du Dr Fanton 13200 Arles – France
From France: by Colissimo or any other type of registered mail before Monday, May 15, 2023 midnight (postmarked).
Shipments from abroad: by carriers such as UPS, Fedex, DHL or other before Monday, May 15, 2023 midnight (postmarked).
NB – We inform you that customs fees may be applied to international shipments and more specifically to shipments from countries outside the European Union. We will be obliged, if necessary, to charge you these fees or to refuse the parcel.
For any additional information, you can write to : firstname.lastname@example.org