Kunstenpunt invites two duos (each consisting of an artist and a programmer) based in Flanders or Brussels to participate in the TPAM Performing Arts Meeting Yokohama 2019 from 9 to 15 February.
TPAM Performing Arts Meeting Yokohama is one of the most important networking platforms for the contemporary performing arts in Japan and Asia. Every year, around 700 international professionals visit the platform. It is therefore a good opportunity to size up the latest developments in contemporary performing arts in Asia, to develop contacts with professionals in Japan and by extension Asia, and to examine the possibility of entering into specific partnerships.
Flanders Arts Institute will collaborate with ONDA (l‘Office national de diffusion artistique – France) and another partner (to be confirmed). Together we will organise a delegation to TPAM to understand better the context of performing arts in Japan and to forge connections.
This open call is meant for:
- individual artists (active in theatre, dance or performance) who create work with an international potential and have an explicit motivation to connect to Japan or by extension Asia (and do not yet have many established contacts in the region)
- performing arts programmers (active in theatre, dance or performance) who have an interest in the region and who have an affinity with the work of the artist and are willing to act as an ambassador of the artist
Participation & selection
Flanders Arts Institute is inviting two duos based in Flanders/Brussels to participate from 9 to 15 February in TPAM 2019. Each duo consists of an artist and a programmer. Candidates can only apply as a duo.
During the trip, the artist will give a presentation about their work to programmers and producers. Furthermore, there will be networking moments, shows to see and meetings. The artists will be coached to prepare her/his presentation and presence at TPAM.
The delegation is made possible with the support of Arts Flanders Japan, that stimulates the cultural relations between Flanders and Japan.
We will cover: the flight, local transport, accommodation (five nights) and accreditation to TPAM. For artists, we will provide a per diem. We will also, together with the project partners, take care of the presentation, translation, reception, coaching and realisation of a publication.
- must have been actively involved in the Flanders/Brussels performing arts (theatre, dance or performance) for at least three years.
- have a clear motivation and vision of the future concerning exchange with Japan or Asia.
- are available from 9 to 15 February 2019.
- are willing to share their knowledge and contacts with Flanders Arts Institute, for example in the form of a short report.
- The programmer has an affinity with the work of the artist, but is not her/his producer.
Candidates have until Friday 30 November 2018 to apply by filling out this form.
Applications will be assessed by Bernard Borghino and Milica Ilic (ONDA) and Marijke De Moor (Kunstenpunt). Those selected will be informed of their participation during the first week of December.