Matadero’s Centre for Artists in Residence and LOOP, through an agreement with Fabra i Coats: Fábrica de Creación y Centre d’Arts Santa Mònica, are promoting this call for entries whose specific objectives are as follows: to provide a curator from any country of origin with a work space, funding, institutional support and international visibility. Given that the purpose of the residency is to get to know the artistic contexts of Madrid and Barcelona, applications from curators who live in either city will not be accepted.
The residency is split into two periods; an initial stage during the month of May 2023 in Barcelona accompanied and managed by LOOP in collaboration with Fabra i Coats: Fábrica de Creación y Centre d’Arts Santa Mònica, and a second stage during the month of June 2023 in Madrid, managed by the Matadero Centre for Artists in Residence. As a result of the residency, the curator will schedule two sessions during the first quarter of 2024, exact dates to be confirmed, as part of the Video Tuesdays programme at the Centre d’Arts Santa Mònica.
Thus, the aim of this initiative is to:
- Promote the professional development of art curators.
- Provide curators who are interested in the local context with institutional support and spatial and economic resources to facilitate their research.
- Establish a context of backing and training so that the purpose of the residency sees the light of day in the best possible conditions.
- Establish connections between the various players in the city’s art scene, the institution and the public.
- Visibilization and internationalization of the selected curator’s work through the presentation of the research developed during the residency, materialized in a collaboration in Video Tuesdays programme of the Centre d’Arts Santa Mònica in the first quarter of 2024, as well as in public activities aimed at this purpose both at the Matadero Madrid Art Residency Center and within the framework of LOOP.