1. Cultural policy
Cultural policy profile
Cultural policy profile of Cyprus in 7 thematic chapters, including additional information and resources
Government – Ministry of Culture
2. Official representations
Representation of Cyprus in Belgium
- There is no longer a resident Cyprus Diplomatic Mission in Brussels, but there is one in The Hague
- Permanent representation of Cyprus to the European Union
Representation of Flanders in Cyprus
3. About funding, cooperation and information centers
– Funding and cooperation
- Ministry of Culture: The Cypriot ministry of culture is the national member of IFACCA.
- Organisation for European programmes and cultural relations: was founded in 2020 and aims to promote and disseminate contemporary Cypriot artistic creation and to contribute in every possible way to the European and international cultural network. The Organisation hosts the Creative Europe Desk (CY) and the Contact Point for the “Citizens, Equality, Rights and Values” programme. It is a EUNIC member.
- Information via On The Move country page: On the Move is the cultural mobility information network, providing information and knowledge for artists and cultural professionals active across borders. On this page, you can find all current calls related to the country as well as the latest version of the Cultural Mobility Funding Guide – and more.
4. Other information portals and platforms
– All disciplines
- Visit Cyprus: Tourism board overview of events in Cyprus. Possible to filter on “festivals” only
- Festivals in Cyprus: Informal facebook group with information posted about festivals in Cyprus
- Home4Cooperation: Organises the Buffer Fringe Festival, which is an annual festival emerging from within the Buffer Zone of Nicosia, Cyprus. It aims to showcase new and experimental work by Cyprus-based and international artists, to challenge physical and artistic barriers and borders, and to create opportunities for artists to meet and exchange ideas.
- Residencies: Overview of artist residency programmes in Cyprus on TransArtists, all disciplines
– Visual arts
- E.KA.TE: The Cyprus Chamber of Fine Arts Non profit organisation about art and artists in Cyprus.
- Cyprus Printmaker Association: The Model Printmaking Workshop of the Cyprus Chamber of Fine Arts was established in 1996 as a result of the collective efforts of the CCFA, printmakers within the CCFA and other visual artists. It encourages collaborations with printmakers locally and abroad.
- NiMAC: NiMAC [Nicosia Municipal Arts Centre, Associated with the Pierides Foundation / Old Powerhouse] is housed in the renovated building of the Old Powerhouse, located in the historical centre of Nicosia. NiMAC was inaugurated in 1994 and it is the oldest and largest Contemporary Art Centre of the island. Its architectural restoration and conversion into a beautiful art and cultural space was awarded the Europa Nostra Award in 1994. Check the announcement page for regular open calls related to NiMAC.
- Thinker Maker Space (TMS): CYENS Thinker Maker Space is a multifunctional creative space that supports local entrepreneurs, designers, artists and researchers. TMS promotes technology led innovation by encouraging the local creative community to develop projects that utilise digital fabrication techniques and rapid prototyping.
– Performing arts
- Cyprus Theatre Organisation (THOC): founded in 1971, is the state theatre of Cyprus. The various activities of THOC include a plethora of theatre events, in a continuous and creative development, which are characterised by both an artistic and a socio-political orientation. As the leading theatre organisation of the island, the Cyprus Theatre Organisation presents high quality performances and various events targeting different audiences, while its tours around the island and its collaborations with artists from abroad enable it to offer a diverse range of activities.
- Rialto Theatre: The Rialto Theatre was created both as a stage for performing arts as well as a nonprofit cultural Organization by the Limassol Co-Operative Savings Bank. The Cyprus Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports and Youth forms its most important contributor. Since 1999, it has been organising, producing, promoting and hosting productions from the entire spectrum of performing arts. Its mission is to educate and develop the local audience, while showcasing and promoting the work of Cypriot artists and creators.
For many years now, the Rialto Theatre has been organising and producing the following annual events and festivals: Cyprus Film Days International Festival, International Short Film Festival of Cyprus, Cyprus Contemporary Dance Festival, Cyprus Choreography Platform, Drama Short Film Festival travels to Cyprus, Cyprus Jazz and World Music Showcase, Cyprus Rialto World Music Festival, and since March 2020, the Cyprus Choreography Showcase aiming to present the work of Cypriot choreographers internationally.
- Dance House Lemesos: a dance house founded in 2007, committed to contemporary dance field in Cyprus. It runs a residency and yearly festivals, and takes part in various international collaborations and networks.
- DanceGate Lefkosia: Founded in 2012, DanceGate works on four angles: presentations and mobility, audience development, artistic development and research, education and discussions. It is a member of European Dancehouse Network.
- Mitos Performing Arts Center: Founded in 2007, MITOS’s activities focus on establishing a performance platform for the arts in Cyprus through a residency program (theYard.Residency), festivals (Mikro Ancient drama festival, Strange Screen), theatre productions, ‘lipasma’ theater education program, workshops, screenings, symposiums, ‘do not CUT art’ weekly radio show, etc. In parallel, MITOS gives emphasis to social issues of the local community and collaborates with European and international cultural networks, in order to support artistic mobility and exchange.
- ITI Cyprus: The Cyprus Centre of the International Theatre Institute (CCOITI) is a member of the International Theatre Institute and is among the 86 National Centers that have been established around the world since 1948.
- Assitej Cyprus: Cypriot branch of Assitej
- Cyprus Music Information Center (CyMIC): was established in 2008 by the Ministry of Education and Culture and the Cyprus Symphony Orchestra Foundation, with the purpose to promote and encourage development, production and appreciation of the music created by Cypriot composers and musicians. It is a member of IAMIC.
- Cyprus Symphony Orchestra Foundation CySO: As the only professional symphony orchestra in Cyprus today, the Cyprus Symphony Orchestra has evolved rapidly during the new millennium into a modern, dynamic orchestra with a strong presence in the musical life on the island. At the same time, it is a national symbol representing Cyprus in Europe and beyond.
5. Regional organisations
- Organisation internationale of la Francophonie (OIF): The Francophonie is also an institution, dedicated since 1970 to promoting the French language and political, educational, economic and cultural cooperation among the 88 member countries of the OIF, among which support for Cultural Diversity. Cyprus is an associate member of the OIF.
- BJCEM: Biennale des jeunes créateurs de l’Europe et de la Méditerranée is a solid network behind the Biennale, with 47 members ranging from cultural institutions to independent organizations, with partnerships throughout Europe, the Middle East and Africa, also with organizations and projects focused on the Mediterranean Diaspora.