To promote contemporary sacred music, every two years the Festival European Sacred Music Schwäbisch Gmünd (Germany) organizes a competition of composing alternating with ordering a composition by a chosen composer. For the year 2023 the festival organizes a competition of composing and provides a prize of 2.000 EUR.
OBJECT OF COMPETITION
- For the 2023 festival a work for a boy choir (SATB) is to be composed, which sets the following verses to music:
Edward Estlin Cummings (1894 – 1962)
when god decided to invent
everything he took one
breath bigger than a circustent
and everything began
when man determined to destroy
himself he picked the was
of shall and finding only why
smashed it into because
Mit freundlicher Genehmigung
© e. e. cummings Trust, New York
- The work should take about 5 minutes to perform.
- The work chosen by the jury will be officially first performed in the opening service of the festival July 14th, 2023 by the Rottenburger Domsingknaben.
MEMBERS OF THE JURY
- An independent jury will take the decision. The jury members are:
Prof. Reiner Schuhenn (Köln)
Detlef Dörner (Stuttgart)
Domkantor Robert Kopf, director of the Rottenburger Domsingknaben
KMD Sonntraud Engels-Benz, member of the festivals directorate
- The scores will anonymously be presented to the jury. The decisions of the jury are final. Any legal recourse is excluded.
- The jury has the right to split the prize or to not award the prize.
CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION
- Only compositions that have not yet been performed or published may be submitted.
- Every participant is allowed to hand in only one composition.
- Former award winners are excluded from participation in the competition.
- The participating composers vest the organizer with the rights for the first performance during the opening service of the “Festival European Sacred Music” on July 14th, 2023. They provide the music scores free of cost and guarantee the performance without any rights of a third party.
- Five copies of the sheet music are to be submitted in legible form anonymously, not marked or signed by the author. Information on the composer (name, address, phone number, e-mail) must be enclosed with the shipment in a sealed envelope. A mp3 recording (CD/DVD) may be added.
- The participants will be informed about the decision of the competition and will receive one copy of the scores back.
- The composition must be sent in five copies by March 1, 2023 (postmark) at the latest to:
Kulturbüro Schwäbisch Gmünd
73525 Schwäbisch Gmünd